Friday 25 September 2009

Japan beckons

Six weeks to go before I reach Japan for the first time! Wow - what a trip to look forward to!

My father fought in Burma during the Second World War and, I guess sub-consciously at least, I grew up with a dis-respect for the Japanese as a consequence (Dad was wounded by a sniper). However, once I started gardening and studying horticulture in the 1970's, I started to see Japan in a different light completely. How can one not be charmed and indeed enthralled by their attention to detail, their skill and love of craftsmanship, their knowledge and respect for the natural and spiritual worlds?

Much more recently, I have assumed the stewardship of the Kyoto Garden in Holland Park - a wonderful oasis of colour and serenity in the very heart of West London. It's an important garden in its own right too as a living symbol of the friendship and mutual respect that now has been restored between the people of Great Britain and Japan.

And topping that is my growing fascination with Japanese food. I was never a great fan of fish until I tasted fresh tuna sashimi . . . now I can't get enough Japanese food! Fortunately we are not too far away from one of London's finest restaurants: Tosa, (King's Street in Hammersmith).

I look forward to the bustle of Tokyo, the Bullet Train and finally Kyoto in the autumn!