Tuesday 25 September 2012

The new Ipad

Tweated on Twitter by the newest convert to the iPad - how my frustration with RIM and the Blackberry PlayBook have finally driven me to the new iPad.
The iPhone 4S that I purchased earlier this year arguably set the wheels turning; however looking back through my blogs I detect that this was an eventuality predicted some years ago when I blogged on my iPod Touch from the skies over the Atlantic Ocean.




I chose the PlayBook because of its size and because it came from the same stable as both my personal and work mobile phones. Label Queen perhaps. The latter reason was a purely emotional attachment: the former I thought borne of practicality. The reality - and this did cause me to think about awaiting the arrival of the iPad mini - is that the former works for a reader - but not a writer. I need an email and blogging keyboard capable of dealing with stubby fingers …  not possible unfortunately on a smaller screen!
However the very biggest frustration was the time it takes to start up the PlayBook after shutdown. Operationally it needs to be shut down on a regular basis (the first one sits in a drawer unloved and unusable on account of my failure to do that). Having to do that each day / week ... whatever … drove me back to paper and pen.
Less than twenty four hours later: yes I am impressed by the iPad and the capabilities it offers.
Oh - and one more point to make: as all of my Apple products currently use the 30 pin connector, waiting for the new iPad with a new type of connector would be akin to condemning myself to 3 or 4 years of duplicate cables or connector adapters everywhere! Why oh why can we not have one cable and adapter for everything? We've nationally agreed plug sockets …

No comments: