Saturday 17 September 2011

Autumn arrives

After a summer that will be remembered for the Arab Spring ... and the worst weekend weather, it is now back to serious blogging.

The riots I anticipated as a consequence of the record numbers of unemployed young people did indeed take place. Others have come up with their reasons for them, but I still hold that idle hands, rather than the increasing secularism of our society, was the major driver. Is that the last of them? I am sure not!

My love of haiku continues, as does my study of Zen Buddhism principally as an explanation of the inspiration behind the Kyoto garden in Holland Park that was radically altered earlier this year. I'll be posting a blog later specifically on that stroll garden to accompany the article (edited on my BlackBerry PlayBook whilst being flown across the Atlantic!) that will be appearing in the Friends of Holland Park magazine later this year.


Bee-keeping has joined my list of interests and I'm pleased to see that Holland Park has again produced in excess of 170 lbs. of honey this year despite the strange weather and unpredicted amount of swarming activity.

Photography occupies my walking outdoor moments though it is sad to see so many fine shots ruined by the absence of a blue sky. Clearly I am meant to study sepia or return to black and white compositions!

From haiku, photography and Zen, my attention is now shifting to the actual practice of zazen or sitting meditation. My day now starts with a good half hour of peaceful, mindful meditation and my principle guide is Andy Puddicombe whose book and iPod audio guides - Get Some Headspace - are  highly recommended. Aside from the sitting meditation, I am also endeavouring to take the practice (kinhin) on my daily walks and thrice weekly into the gym. 

And finely, no summer concludes without the results of London in Bloom - my talented team secured no less than seven Gold Awards and two Silver Gilts on top of seven Green Flag Awards: an excellent season in the office!

No comments: